Do you want to play a supporting role in creating something exciting, new and different in the world of floral design?
Are you passionate about beautiful, ethical, sustainable and organic produce?
Are you a creative talented florist with experience?
If you can answer “yes” to the above, you could be the assistant manager of our new Hampstead “Flower Farm Shop” – a brand new concept for London selling stunning floral designs using only what we grow ourselves on our organic flower farm in rural Somerset.
During your training, you will spend time at our flower farm near Bath to understand our “seed to bouquet” concept and our unique approach to floral design. You will learn from our founder and director, Fiona Haser Bizony (recently featured in a new Phaidon book, Blooms: Contemporary Floral Design). Alongside your manager you will also be involved in the final stages of getting the new shop ready for launch, from setting up procedures to choosing giftware ranges to complement the floristry products.
Your previous retail experience will be essential when it comes to supporting the manager, Consideration around minimising our environmental impact will be integral to all stages of planning how we work. You will need to be super flexible, willing to learn, and support the manager at all times. Communication and attention to detail is key to making this position flourish, including duty manager responsibilities and supporting the team as a senior florist. You will also work closely with the Farm making sure all aspects run smoothly and ensure communication is used at a high level at all times.
In addition to your floristry experience, you will also have strong customer service and relationship building skills to put the “Flower Farm Shop” at the heart of its community. We envisage this being much more than a retail outlet. It will also be a venue where local residents can share our passion for beautiful, organic produce, learn new skills and connect with people, for example by taking part in creative floristry-related workshops.
This is an exciting time to join Electric Daisy Flower Farm. We are well respected in our field, a small team with big ambitions and a huge amount of passion and creativity. We are equally passionate about growing our team members and seeing them flourish. We provide our staff with regular development opportunities and relevant training, including horticultural qualifications.
Salary: £23,000 to £25,000
Location: Swains Lane, Hampstead, London
Working hours: Full time over 6 days
Florist Shop Assistant Manager
To support the Shop Manager in managing and developing the Flower Farm Shop, including duty manager responsibilities and supporting the team as a senior florist to create ethical, beautiful, organic floral designs.
- Ensuring operating procedures are followed to ensure the smooth day to day running of the flower shop including overseeing shop opening and closing procedures depending on your shifts
- Acting as first point of contact for queries from customers and team members in the absence of the Shop Manager
- Providing excellent service to customers ordering by telephone, online and in person and ensuring that orders are delivered in a timely manner and to EDFF’s standards, including liaising with external delivery companies
- Receiving and sorting deliveries from the Flower Farm
- Taking part in bi-annual meetings to coordinate the flower growing to ensure that it fits the floristry team’s need, taking into account trends and customer demands
- Presenting the shop to maximise impact on potential customers, including supporting the Shop Manager and Director to create eye-catching window displays, displaying a beautiful selection of flowers and bouquets, linking with seasonal themes, pricing and labelling clearly and ensuring that the shop environment is welcoming, clean and tidy.
- Regular meetings with Shop Manager to work on ideas for developing the shop, including sources for new product ranges and collaborations.
- Building positive relationships within the local community to increase opportunities for cross-working, brand awareness and generally being a good neighbour
- Coaching junior team members in floristry skills and our in-house style
- Taking responsibility for your own health and safety, including appropriate use of tools and materials
- Attending industry networking events, research visits and training events to build your skills, learn about new developments, share best practice and transfer learning back to your work at Electric Daisy Flower Farm
- Any other duties commensurate with the level of this post as reasonably requested by your line manager.
Key Success Factors:
The shop runs smoothly in the Shop Manager’s absence; Environmental impact is minimised through use of eco-friendly techniques and products.
Creation of outstanding floral designs which are valued by customers, ensure repeat business and help to establish the Flower Farm Shop’s reputation in the local community.
Florist Shop Assistant Manager
- KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
Solid floristry training, whether gained on the job or a combination of work and college-based learning
Knowledge of retail operating procedures
Relevant qualifications, such as an award, certificate or diploma in Floristry
- SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Significant practical experience in and creative flair for floral design
Retail experience, ideally in the floristry sector
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Budget management experience
Team leader experience
- MOTIVATION, BEHAVIOUR AND ATTITUDE
Hardworking and focused, setting an example to others
Self-motivated, flexible including being able to work independently, on own initiative
Passion for sustainable practices and organic growing
Able to work to deadlines
Open to learning new skills and ways of working
Willingness and ability to travel, including spending time at the flower farm near Bath during your training period
Physical fitness and dexterity to be able to undertake practical tasks
Flexibility to cover shifts on a rota covering Tuesday to Sunday, Willing to put in extra hours where necessary (with overtime pay / time off in lieu by arrangement with your manager)